NEWSPAPER TREE is looking for a talented and enterprising investigative reporter to join our staff. The position is paid commensurate with experience.
Newspaper Tree is a nonpartisan, nonprofit public service digital news and culture publication covering the El Paso/Juárez borderlands.
The Investigative Reporter position is a full-time investigative reporter responsible for enterprise, in-depth, and policy-oriented news and information exclusively for Newspaper Tree. The reporter works on individual news projects, as well as in a team environment with community contributors, freelance journalists, student interns, and professional journalists from partnering news organizations.
The reporter is responsible for research and writing, interviewing sources, and preparing digital content in various formats. The reporter should possess excellent writing skills, as well as be comfortable working with equipment and computer applications related to various media formats (e.g. videography, photography, audio recording, etc.).
The reporter’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working directly with editors to develop news content and ideas for news coverage. Generating ideas for news pieces and strategies for coverage of issues within the El Paso/Juárez region;
- Conducting and coordinating research, interviews, managing sources and contacts and obtaining public documents for the purpose of presenting factual news and information;
- Working with editors to present news in a compelling and professional manner, and observing and maintaining the highest ethical standards in the process;
- Working on “team coverage” with other professional journalists, community journalists, student interns, policy experts, and other partners as needed;
- Working to facilitating a learning and mentoring environment for community journalists and student interns; and
- Representing Newspaper Tree in a professional and ethical manner in the media and with the community.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, or a related field such as economics, sociology, political science, public policy or public administration;
- You have 5 or more years of journalism experience;
- You have 2 or more years investigative reporting experience;
- You have multimedia and social media experience;
- You are fluent in English and Spanish;
- You have a strong interest in the US-México borderlands and international issues.
- You possess excellent writing and communication skills;
- You have a strong background in economics, business, law, accounting, languages or computer science;
- You have good mathematics skills; and
- You are proficient in the Adobe Creative Suite, including Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier and After Effects.
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and a sample of your work (including multimedia, if applicable) to Anthony Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please write “Investigative Reporter” in the subject line.
Open until filled